Thursday, July 17, 2008

Companion Cube... Please Come Back, I'm Sorry.

I just finished reading "Apathy and Some Other Small Victories" by Paul Neilan, and it's by far the funniest book I've ever read, ever. If you were to mix Office Space with Vonnegut, added political incorrectness and foul language this is what you would end up with. I just thought I'd share the highlight of when the main character starts working at Panopticon, an insurance conglomerate.

"One day I came back from the bathroom to an email:

'Hey gang! Exciting news! Due to a recent floor restructuring, out team is gaining a new cubicle! It will most likely be utilized as a conference cube or for storage, but I thought it might be fun to have a little 'cube warming' party. I know you've all been working extremely hard, and this will be a good chance for us to 'blow off some steam' as we welcome our newest insentient addition. Say, 10 a.m.? Be there or be square. Or, cubed, rather!

Regards"

Oh corporate America, with your seas of cubes and faceless working spaces. I love it. Conan had something to say as well:

http://www.clipstr.com/videos/ConanVisitsIntel/

...and this just made Intel sad, a very sad panda. How sad? Well they're launching new modern cubicle modules that are spunky, bright and colorful, promoting an open work environment with an uber-ergo and inviting design. Thinking google-like? Maybe. The right move? Well only if PR and HR think it's worth it, and it definitely is. Break rooms with Wii/X360, free drinks, pool tables, couches and dry cleaning service. Sure. Maybe Conan can do something about our uncovered parking lot, oven-like cars when you go home are definitely not fun.
Companion Cube from The Orange Box: Portal

PS. If anyone here has played Portal you know where the title came from =)

No comments: